- Patricia Terry-Ross2017 Kresge Eminent Artist
- Leni Sinclair2016 Kresge Eminent Artist
- RUTH ADLER SCHNEE2015 Kresge Eminent Artist
- Bill Rauhauser2014 Kresge Eminent Artist
- DAVID DICHIERA2013 Kresge Eminent Artist
- NAOMI LONG MADGETT2012 Kresge Eminent Artist
- BILL HARRIS2011 Kresge Eminent Artist
- MARCUS BELGRAVE2009 Kresge Eminent Artist
- CHARLES MCGEE2008 Kresge Eminent Artist
The Kresge Eminent Artist Award of $50,000 is unrestricted and given annually to one artist who:
- Lives and works in the metropolitan Detroit tri-county area (Wayne, Oakland, or Macomb counties) and has resided in the area for a significant number of years
- Has a distinguished record of high quality work and professional achievement in the arts
- Has made a significant impact on their chosen art form
- Shares their talent and expertise with the broader arts community and community at large
- Has contributed generously to the growth and vibrancy of Detroit’s cultural environment
Each year, the Kresge Arts in Detroit Advisory Council reviews the Kresge Eminent Artist Award nominations and, utilizing the guidelines and selection criteria, selects the Kresge Eminent Artist. The Advisory Council, a volunteer group of leaders in the metropolitan Detroit cultural community, is made up of local artists and arts professionals residing in the metropolitan Detroit tri-county area (Wayne, Oakland or Macomb counties). Advisory Council members are experienced and well-respected for their knowledge of and involvement in the local cultural community, and represent the diversity of artistic disciplines, as well as diversity of age, ethnicity, gender and professional background.
Kresge Arts in Detroit constituents, including past Advisory Council members, past Kresge Eminent Artist panelists, and past Kresge Eminent Artists, nominate artists for the Kresge Eminent Artist Award each year. An artist may NOT self-nominate, and community members may NOT nominate artists. Advisory Council members and their immediate family members may not be nominated for the award.
Once an artist has received the Kresge Eminent Artist Award, they are NOT eligible to receive another Kresge Eminent Artist Award or to apply for a Kresge Artist Fellowship. However, if an artist has received the Kresge Artist Fellowship, they ARE eligible to be nominated for the Kresge Eminent Artist Award.